User Contest 2015 - Rules and Regulations
1. About the contest
Participants of the contest may submit a maximum of 3 projects per company per country, designed with Scia Engineer and/or Allplan Engineering.
This contest is open to projects that have already been realised or for those which are still in progress, yet with the design or detailing fully completed. Projects that have been submitted in previous Nemetschek contests can not participate again. The submitted projects will be presented to a jury and per category (see § 3) one winner and three nominees will be selected.
A comprehensive case study will be made of each of the winning projects. After the prize-giving event the winners will be announced to the international press and media. All participants and their projects will be published by SCIA, as well as in the SCIA User Contest Book 2015. This book will be sent to all participants for free, as well as to the local and international press. Besides the publication on all the organisers’ websites, 3.000 printed books will be distributed to professionals in the construction industry.
All winning projects will also be published in the SCIA eNews with more than 30.000 subscribers.
2. Participating in the contest
This contest is for professional legal users only, students cannot participate.
Taking part in the contest is free and accessible for all users of an officially registered version of Scia Engineer and/or Allplan Engineering.
Each participant can submit one or more projects in each of the following 4 categories:
- Category 1: Buildings
Design of buildings, residences, apartments, roof spans for houses, also high-rise buildings … for which Scia Engineer and/or Allplan Engineering software has been used for modelling, analysis, design and detailing.
» The originality of the design and detailing of the structural work fitting with the architectural design is a decisive factor. Illustration of a BIM process is of special importance.
- Category 2: Civil Structures
Any type of structure that fits within civil engineering, at which Scia Engineer and/or Allplan Engineering software has been used. It regards structures including each type of bridge (beam, arch, cable-stayed, suspension bridge …), tunnels, bulkheads, locks, barrages, in short general infrastructure ...
» The level of application of engineering science is decisive.
- Category 3: Industrial Buildings and Plants
Design of general steel or concrete structures, power plants, frame structures, large span halls and hangars, pre-engineered buildings… for which Scia Engineer and/or Allplan Engineering software has been used.
» The focus is on the size of the structure, and the level of detailing, e.g. for the steel or concrete members and connections, or reinforcement.
- Category 4: Special Projects
Specialty structures – Sustainable, Ecological and Green Structures – Scaffolding – Works of art – Mechanical equipment … Larger projects (storage tanks, conveyer belts, cold storage installations, supporting structures), playground equipment, , cranes, tubular connections … for which Scia or Allplan software has been used. To this category also belong stadiums, spectacular roofs.
» Winning criteria are: originality, complexity and creativity.
We reserve the right to re-classify projects under another category, other than the one in which you have submitted your project, in which case we will inform you about it.
Each category requires at least 5 participating projects (including 1 winner and 3 nominees). When this prerequisite is not met, the category will be excluded from this contest and the projects will be transferred to the best suited remaining categories.
4. Organisation of the Contest
The contest is organised by Nemetschek Scia, Industrieweg 1007, B 3540 Herk-de-Stad, Tel: +32 13 55 17 75, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The contest may be interrupted, postponed or cancelled owing to circumstances beyond our control. The participants waive each right of lodging a complaint or claiming compensation with regard to this stipulation.
5. Conditions of Participation
Taking part in the contest is official when the "Registration Form" on the User Contest website has been filled out, sent in and the participation has been confirmed. With this registration, the contest rules are fully accepted.
Each participant obtains his own space on the specially designed User Contest website, where he/she can publish his/her project(s). After registration, the participant receives a confirmation per e-mail. On 28 February 2015, the website access will be closed and access will be revoked. Deadline is extended to 31 March 2015. At that date, all the items of the projects must be completed (see feature "How to participate?"). Only complete projects are evaluated by the jury.
As the entire handling of the project happens through the User Contest website, no documents will be exchanged by mail or any other media without mutual agreement in advance.
By taking part in this user contest, the customer grants permission to Nemetschek Scia and Nemetschek Allplan to use the submitted material for any kind of publication such as the Contest Book, websites, newsletters, testimonials, brochures, or any other way... By participating, the participant also certifies that there are no copyrights owned by any third party on the submitted material or has explicit permission by the owner to use it.
6. Prizes, Jury and Evaluation of the Participating Projects
SCIA offers a cash prize in the form of a cheque of € 1.500 to each of the 6 winners (1 per category + 1 Prize of the Jury + 1 Prize of the Public). Moreover a short promotional movie about his project will be shared with the winner.
An independent contest jury – composed of academic and professionals from various countries in Europe – will gather in July 2015 for the evaluation of the submitted projects. The judging will be done under the guidance of a dedicated SCIA representative, who is in charge of the contest. This person will see to the correct application of the quotation procedure.
The jury will judge the projects taking the following characteristics into account:
- The technical level of the design, detailing and/or the calculations, the use of Open BIM and interoperability, sustainability, environmental conditions, etc...
- The originality and prestige of the project.
- The attractiveness and completeness of the project and the way it has been presented in the submitted documents.
- The optimal use of the functionalities of the used software solutions.
A "Prize of the Public" will be organised by a voting system through the social media channel Facebook independently of the jury gathering. This will be held in the period between the closing of the contest and the publication of the results.
Any Facebook fan, may vote on any project by clicking its 'like' button. It is allowed to like multiple projects. If Scia notices that voting behaviour on a certain project shows irregularities, these votes will be deducted from the total number of votes (likes).
All information presented in the entry files will remain confidential until the date of the official proclamation. The members of the jury are obliged to the deliberation secret and only have temporal access to all project materials during the evaluation period.
8. Presentation of the Projects
The submission language for this contest is English. To help you with your company and project presentation we provide a Word template. Here you can also find an example on how the layout would look like.
Each submitted project needs to contain the following parts. More detailed information will be available in the project upload form.
For the publication of the files and data as described above, each participant is granted a dedicated space on the User Contest Website.
- Your Company Profile: Here you can add: history, company mission, vision and philosophy, key activities, target groups (who are your customers?), references, etc.
- A Project Description: This can be an introduction to the project, the general description of the project, the importance of it, the approach of the various problems, the way the software has been used, the obtained results and conclusions, ...
- A short User Quote (between 50 and 80 words) on how you experienced the use and deployment of Scia's software for your particular project. This quote will be used for the jury and will accompany your project when it is being used for media and marketing purposes.
- Your company logo (min. 10x10 cm) in a high print quality (resolution 300 DPI or EPS).
- The complete software files: Allplan (NDW-file) in case of a CAD project. The Scia Engineer project (ESA file including results), with a detailed document (calculation note), in which all calculation data as well as the graphical import and export are included, in case of a modelling and calculation project. These software files will be stored safely and protected. Under no condition will these files be shared with any third parties.
- Screen captures or exported imagery of the project (preferably JPG, BMP, TIFF or PNG format). Please deliver these screenshots in the highest possible resolution (preferably 1600 x 1200 pixels, 100% quality).
- Digital photos of the project in the highest resolution possible (4 megapixels and more). We require pictures of the project during the realization phase and/or photos of the completed project. Should the project still be in an initial phase, virtual images, renderings or digital pictures of the scale-model are also allowed.
- Optional: Any other files that could raise your chance of winning this contest, such as movies, 3D PDF, presentations, engineering reports, etc...
- Optional: Company pictures and / or Pictures of the contestant or group photo (min. 3 Megapixel)